May 25 2016
Underwriting assistants are unsung heroes within many insurance organizations. The best UAs don’t simply enhance customer service, follow-up on vital tasks and help the underwriting department run smoothly. The best UAs, with training and experience, will eventually move into the underwriter role and provide even greater value to the organization.
Great underwriting assistants are hard to find and harder to keep. As a new generation moves into that role, the challenges facing the organization are changing. Patra’s underwriting services enable UAs to spend more time at the top of their job description and less time processing. With the confidence that a dedicated Patra team is handling vital tasks like submission entry and clearance, loss run ordering, policy issuance and renewal prep, UAs can focus on the real work of supporting the underwriting department.
Patra’s specialist model of processing allows an organization to outsource the tasks that impact staff productivity and affect customer service. For example, a successful MGA recently approached Patra with an underwriting staff so burdened that it was taking up to a week to reply to brokers with a submission notification. By training a Patra team to check submissions as they are received, enter dates into an AMS and reply to brokers, response time decreased from a week to under two hours!
Patra’s underwriting services deliver the information (e.g. loss runs, submissions, risk evaluations) your underwriting team needs, when they need it, saving time and reducing workloads. While Patra is known for serving retail agencies, we offer services that address the entire life cycle of a policy – from pre-binding to renewals and everything in between. Carriers, MGA/MGUs and insurance wholesalers have all taken advantage, solving real staffing and process challenges with Patra’s comprehensive solutions.
- Loss Control – As loss control recommendations are written by carriers, we enter information into the agency management system, allowing underwriters to follow up with retail brokers and ensure recommendations are handled. When responses are received from an insured, Patra will enter data and close underwriter activities.
- Renewal Preparation – Patra will set up new policy terms in the agency management system and attach necessary reports (loss runs, experience modification rating pages, credit ratings, etc.) to the account. Patra will also send renewal correspondence to retail brokers asking for renewal information.
- Claim Updates – When retail brokers request status reports for Experience Mod Ratings, claim payment reductions, or insured claims reviews, Patra will retrieve reports from carriers and deliver to the retail broker.
- Workers’ Compensation Rating – For many workers comp programs, Patra will rate new business and renewals within carrier systems.
- Workers Comp Ex Mod – As reports are received from carriers, Patra will distribute ex mod worksheets to retail brokers.
- Loss Runs – Patra will receive requests from the retail broker, MGA or wholesaler, retrieve loss runs from carriers, and deliver reports as needed.
- Notice of Cancellation/Reinstatement Notices – Patra will send notices to retail brokers, attach within the MGA or wholesale broker’s agency system and set up diaries for follow up. Underwriters will be notified of cancellations or any other changes.
- Policy Issuance – Working within carrier systems or other proprietary systems, Patra can issue policies and send to the retail broker.
For more information about this or any other Patra service, please contact Dave Tight, SVP Business Development, at (415) 595-9987 or email@example.com.